WHAT'S GOIN' ON?

Trying to live a practical, but compassionate life towards all living creatures (animal, mineral, vegetable, humanable) without being a self-righteous ass.

Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Christmas Supper-ahj

I made my first ever Christmas supper this year. It was a casual affair and we were just going to buy premade groceries, but I ended up having the time and energy and inclination to cook -- so I went through my books looking for recipes to try, and spent the night of the 24th cooking almost everything. (I hate doing all the cooking on the Day of something--I'm all about the prepping.) Since our theme was Swellegant 1930s I tried to make fingerish foodish food.

In the grand tradition set by my step-mother, I mostly made recipes I'd never made before. (Whenever we had guests, she ALWAYS tried a new recipe. I think that's what people like us who don't cook a lot do... if you're going to the effort, might as well have fun.)

Here is the menu, and then I will post the recipes. Needless to say it's all vegan.

Christmas Supper

Tofu Spread
Mushroom Pasties
Winter Soup
Stuffed Peppers
Leek Quiche (store bought - Commensal brand, expensive but yummy good )
Chocolate Cupcakes
Apple Cider (made by sister in law - excellent)

The stuffed peppers were from Moskowitz, but I didn't put mushrooms because I didn't want to overmushroom my husband. So the fact that I found the recipe Not Amazing (it was like chilli) may be because of the lack of mushroom-ahj. Anyway, I won't bother writing up that recipe.

No comments: