WHAT'S GOIN' ON?

Trying to live a practical, but compassionate life towards all living creatures (animal, mineral, vegetable, humanable) without being a self-righteous ass.

Sunday, April 12, 2009

Oh the weird relationship to the foods...

I happened across a blog about an opera singer whose been losing weight and tracking it. I haven't read the details, but I gather she had Type II diabetes, and has managed to reverse that.

But I came across a posting where she Confesses to having binged. This is her idea of a binge: She made cookies, ate "too much" of the batter, and then ate one of the cookies.

She goes on and on, in the post and in her comments, that this isn't about having eaten dessert--it's that she ate when she wasn't hungry, and in an unplanned manner, and didn't listen to her body, etc. Whatever. But quel use of the word "binge." ...It's like an alcoholic having one drink and calling it a Lost Weekend.

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Hi Miss Mabel,

A reader directed me to your reference to my blog, and I wanted to offer some perspective.

That may not have been a binge in the classic sense of the word, but for me, psychologically, it was. In my struggle to finally conquer my lifelong issues with food and weight, the psychological components are by far the most important. So the issue wasn't how much I ate, but that after months of working hard on mindfulness and honesty, I slipped.

I think if you *had* read more of the blog, you'd have a better idea of where I was coming from.

Best wishes,

Cindy

London Mabel said...

Dear Ms. Cindy,

I was being "modest"--I've read a fair amount of your blog, and I DO get the impression that you're just trying to eat healthier in general and not feel like you're depriving yourself, etc. I have a lot of respect for that.

But I am still from the school of thought that thinks North American women focus too much on numbers/pounds, constant tracking of calories, and constant thinking about fooood fooood foooood. I work in a bookstore and I can't count the number of times that I've walked into a break room full of guys, and they're talking about politics; and I've walked into a room full of girls, and they're talking about how "bad" they are regarding food choices (and these are all slim 18 year olds.)

And I find that all blogs about weight loss have a similar tone as those 18 year old girls. I think your blog is a very accurate reflection of how many women think, and how I wish women didn't think.

But those is just my opinions. :-) Thanks for your feedback.

Mabels