WHAT'S GOIN' ON?

Trying to live a practical, but compassionate life towards all living creatures (animal, mineral, vegetable, humanable) without being a self-righteous ass.

Sunday, April 5, 2009

Can't afford your friends?

I can't imagine my social life being affected by how much money I make. I mean, yes in terms of where (or whether) I could eat out, perhaps. But to actually "part ways" with friends because we're not in the same social group? That's too weird for my to contemplate.

[from a NYT article about executives taking low paying jobs]

After applying for more than 100 jobs, mostly director-level and above in marketing and branding, and getting just two interviews, Ms. Arlt said she realized last fall that she had to do something to “close the monthly financial hemorrhage.”

Her new job at HometownQuotes pays $10 to $15 an hour and has mostly entailed data entry. But even though she has parted ways with some friends because she is no longer in their social stratum, Ms. Arlt said she was glad she was no longer sitting at home, “thinking, ‘Who have I not heard from today?’ ”

1 comment:

gmc said...

I could see that easily happening in many career paths... people get ahead by belonging to the same social clubs, exercise spas, golf clubs.. they shop at the same high-end stores because they all must wear the same power-suits... their ideas of a social life involves high-priced refreshments at expensive clubs and restaurants... Are these those "friends for life?" Obviously not. We use that friends word way too loosely. We need a different word but it would be too obvious when you referred to someone as a "colleague" or an "acquaintance," etc... where they really stood in your life.

It's like facebook where someone asked me to add them to their super-friends page and I thought about it and decided - nope - ain't going to start going down my list now to see who qualifies for super-friend status.

Since inception though, when we all just NEEDED to have some friends so we didn't look like losers, now people are getting more selective. I have unfriended one two people for one reason or another, (aren't you glad it specifically tells us that these "friends" won't be notified of being un-friended ;-)! And I've noticed a few who have unfriended me when I've gone to check up on their page for some reason... hah!! Yay, well, I would have un-freinded you First if I'd only known you felt THAT way! (so funny)...