WHAT'S GOIN' ON?

Trying to live a practical, but compassionate life towards all living creatures (animal, mineral, vegetable, humanable) without being a self-righteous ass.

Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Which is why I am not anti-abortion

I think some people approach abortion a little too cavalierly. One friend compared an abortion to cutting off your arm, but your arm will never grow into an independent human being. You're not growing an arm, you're growing a thing which has the brain and nerve capacity to grow its own arms. I don't know of any realistic analogy you can make--the act of growing a baby in your body is in a class all its own (as I'm sure any woman who's had to carry and birth one would attest.)

So, like, I try to be, generally speaking, in for living things, which makes me pro-animal protection, and against the death sentence as well.

However. I'm against making abortion illegal. And I would never be all judgee against someone who had one, and I can't say I wouldn't ever choose to have one myself.

And of course, a 9 year old who is pregnant because of being molested, and who would probably die if she gave birth because she's so slim, is one of those obvious *extreme cases* which show why abortion should be legal.

I am referring to this story out of Brazil, though the abortion in question was not illegal--it was just anti-Catholic church. The doctors and mother involved have been excommunicated. Possibly this is a sad thing for them; but the really barfy part of the story is this:

Upon learning of the abortion, the regional archbishop excommunicated the doctors, as well as the girl's mother. He did not excommunicate the step-father, saying the crime he is alleged to have committed, although deplorable, was not as bad as ending a fetus's life.

"The law of God is higher than any human laws," Archbishop Jose Cardoso Sobrinho said in an interview on Globo television. "When a human law is against the law of God, that law has no value." (CBC news)

The Catholic Church... has become so unspeakably out of touch with this planet... I... I... they render me speechless. Well, almost speechless: AHHHHHH!

No comments: